Daniel Kalb, PhD
Narrative of Services:
For over 20 years, more than half my practice has been devoted to the treatment of adults with OCD and OC related disorders. The balance involves CBT treatment of various anxiety problems. I also see couples. When appropriate, I do exposures with patients out of the office and make house calls if needed. A positive therapeutic relationship greatly facilitates treatment. Toward this end, I adopt a warm, relaxed, interactive style, laced with humor. I teach tools and techniques to reduce symptoms. Primary treatment strategies include Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP), CBT, and Mindfulness/ACT. I also work collaboratively with medication prescribers.
Exposure Therapy Group in Marin County (San Francisco Bay Area)
Eight Mondays beginning April 23, 2018
Corte Madera, Marin
7:00 – 8:30 pm
The same proven techniques used in individual treatment will be employed in this group for adults. These include:
- Implementing tools to accept fear and doubt
- Taking baby steps to expose yourself to what you avoid
- Stopping self-defeating ways of reducing your anxiety
- Altering the way you relate to your thoughts, emotions, and sensations
- Changing negative self-talk
- Motivating yourself to accept discomfort in order to pursue what you value
Advantages of Group Therapy
- Social Support: Your suffering may be increased by feelings of isolation and shame. Here’s an opportunity to see that you are not alone and that others are struggling with similar challenges.
- Increased Motivation: It can be difficult to face your fears and doubts on your own. In a group setting, you can receive encouragement from others. You may even help inspire others to change. The shared experience of tackling symptoms can be very powerful. Applying more productive coping strategies is easier when you are supported by others who truly get how difficult it can be.
- Affordability: The cost of individual therapy can be prohibitive. In the group you’ll work on your own specific problems both in the sessions themselves, and between sessions. If you wish, you can call on another group member during the week if you need some extra coaching and support doing your homework. Group sessions cost $90. An individual pre-group session costing $190 is required so that we can determine if the group is right for you, and in order to review what to expect.
For more information, click here.
I have been treating OCD for over 20 years and have attended numerous workshops on OCD and OCD spectrum disorders including those offered by the Behavior Therapy Training Institute and those given at annual IOCDF conventions. I conduct seminars about OCD for therapists and provide individual supervision for them. I am a member of the Marin County Psychological Association, the California Psychological Association, the Anxiety & Depression Association of America and the Association for Contextual Behavioral Science (international ACT). For over 12 years, I have attended a bi-weekly peer consultation group composed of senior CBT clinicians in Marin County.