INSTRUCTIONS FOR PHONE VIDEOS
Here are some simple instructions for getting the best results filming on your phone. These instructions are specific to newer iPhones, so if you have a different device, please just follow the basic principles.
- Please try to keep the phone as steady as possible. If you have a tripod, great; if not, you can always prop up your phone on a shelf. If someone will be holding the phone, please ask them to hold it as steadily as possible!
- Shoot horizontally! This means the phone will be on its side.
3. Don’t use the digital zoom on the camera. Please frame the shot by either moving closer or further away from the subject, and don’t use the zoom as this will lessen picture quality.
4. If you have a newer phone, and if you have enough space on your phone’s memory, please shoot the videos at 1080p HD at 30fps. You can access this option by going to CAMERA in SETTINGS and selecting the 1080p HD 30FPS option.
5. You can change the exposure of the shot (how light or dark it is) by framing the shot, then tapping on the square at the center of the screen and moving the sliding button up or down to get an exposure that looks good.
6. Lighting — Please try to shoot the videos in good lighting. You should use natural light as much as possible, so you can use windows, but don’t shoot towards the window as this will make the subject darker.
7. Sound — Make sure you record in a quiet space. The iPhone’s microphones are quite sensitive, and you’d be amazed what they can pick up. If you don’t mind turning off your air conditioning or heater while you record, that would be excellent, as the air can cycle on and off while you record, creating differences in sound quality.
8. Wardrobe — Casual/Upscale casual. Solid muted colors are best. If you wear bright colors, try to avoid white or black. Try to avoid heavy patterns as well. No logos.
9. Have fun! We appreciate you doing your best with this, and we want to make sure it’s a fun and easy experience. Thank you again for taking part!
10. Uploading — Video files can be very large (often too large to email). We recommend you send them to us via a service called wetransfer.com. At we transfer you will have the option to send directly from the the site via email or to send a link to us to download the file. Refer to the instructions on the specific project to see which is appropriate.