What is the BTTI?
The Behavior Therapy Training Institute (BTTI) is an in-depth three-day intensive training course in cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) for mental health professionals who are treating individuals with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) and related disorders. The BTTI was developed to help address the shortage of therapists properly trained in using CBT to treat OCD around the country and the world. The objective was to find a training model and format that was more intensive comprehensive and clinically useful than most workshops but that was also shorter and more accessible than the few fellowships and internships offering training in the treatment of OCD.
The IOCDF Board of Directors appointed a panel to develop the training model that is used for the BTTI The panel included Gail Steketee, PhD, LICSW; Lee Baer, PhD; Fugen Neziroglu, PhD; John Greist, MD; and C. Alec Pollard, PhD (Clinical Chair of the BTTI). The format has been modified somewhat over the years in response to feedback from participants but the basic model remains intact.
In addition to the flagship BTTI course (called the General BTTI), we now offer additional BTTI courses on specialty and advanced topics. The Pediatric BTTI offers CBT training for professionals who specialize in treating children and adolescents with OCD and related disorders. And the new Advanced Forum BTTI (previously known as the BTTI 2) offers advanced training for those professionals who have already completed the General BTTI.
For an insider’s look at the BTTI, click here to read a firsthand account by Dr. Annette Perot, a recent BTTI graduate.
When and Where are the Next BTTI Programs?
- General BTTI – Registration Full
June 8 – 10, 2018
- General BTTI
September 14 – 16, 2018
More information coming soon!
- Advanced Forum
October 19 – 21, 2018
More information coming soon!
If you have any questions or concerns pertaining to these upcoming trainings, please call us at (617) 973-5801 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our BTTI sessions sell out quickly! In order to register for these trainings, please take the following steps:
1. Complete the BTTI Interest List Survey.
2. In the survey, select which region(s) of the US and Canada you are interested in attending.
3. Wait to receive an email announcing a BTTI’s registration (usually one week before registration begins)
4. Wait to receive an email with registration link (usually 24 hours before registration opens)
How Frequently is the BTTI Offered?
The IOCDF hosts 5 – 8 BTTI courses around North America each year, including our General BTTI, Pediatric BTTI, and other specialty BTTIs.
Who Can Attend the BTTI?
You can register for the BTTI if:
- You are a licensed mental health professional who currently treats OCD and/or related disorders. (Note: You must have an independent license, meaning that you do not require supervision to see clients.)
- You are a current professional member of the IOCDF. You do not need to be a member to register for the BTTI; however you do need to become a member if we offer you a spot in an upcoming training and officially register you. Professional membership is $125 per person per year. For more information about membership with the IOCDF and to become a member/renew your expired membership prior to registering, please visit our membership page.
- You have not already attended the same type of BTTI you plan to register for in the past. Due to the high demand for these trainings, IOCDF will not allow a person to attend a general or Pediatric BTTI twice. If you have attended a general BTTI before, you can still attend the Pediatric BTTI or an Advanced Forum. If you have attended a Pediatric BTTI before, you can still attend the general BTTI or an Advanced Forum.
Who Makes Up the BTTI Faculty?
The faculty of each BTTI is made up of some of the most experienced and well-respected OCD therapists in North America, most of them being members of the IOCDF’s Scientific Advisory Board.
How Much Does the BTTI Cost?
The cost of registration is $500 for all three days. This fee includes the cost of continuing education credits and lunch on the third day. When you register for the BTTI, you are automatically registered for CE credits. Cancellation guidelines and restrictions vary for each specific training. If you have any questions or concerns about this, please feel free to contact us at the IOCDF.
How Can I Register to Attend the BTTI?
Our BTTI’s tend to sell out very quickly — some in less than 30 minutes! Those on our interest list get the first opportunity to register. To join our list click here. As you complete this survey, please make sure you thoughtfully select the regions of the United States and Canada where you would like to attend trainings. When we open registration for specific trainings, we first notify those who have indicated that they want to attend a training in this particular geographic area.
Registration for the BTTI is on a first-come, first-served basis. Once you complete the BTTI Interest Survey, you can expect to receive email alerts when we plan to open a training in a location that you selected. Instructions for how to register and documents needed in order to complete the registration process will be included in these emails.
Are Continuing Education Credits Offered?
Yes. Continuing education credits are offered for psychologists, social workers, and mental health counselors.
This program has been approved by the National Board for Certified Counselors. Course meets the qualifications for 21 hours of continuing education credit for MFCCs and/or LCSWs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. This is approved by the National Association of Social Workers for 21 Social Work continuing education contact hours. The IOCDF is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. This program is sponsored by the International OCD Foundation, Inc. (IOCDF) and the IOCDF maintains responsibility for this program and its content. For additional continuing education certificates requested after the end of the BTTI, there will be a $25.00 processing fee.